The Old Town Hall in Bromley consists of two separate buildings. The first structure was built in 1906 and comprises a period stone staircase and plaster features. The second was built in 1939 and was art deco in design. It also holds a nuclear bunker in the basement built during The Cold War.
The 1906 and 1939 buildings are the site of the former town hall which has been converted into shared office spaces for local businesses. The new design is sympathetic to retain and restore many of the period features; cornices, plastered domes and an ornate stone staircase. We detailed the repairs to the red-brick façade and extended into the roof space. The hipped pitched slate roof has a central timber cupola with a copper roof above the main entrance porch.
In the 1939 building, there is a large loft space which has been converted into further office space. In the basement of this building, we converted a nuclear bunker into offices, storage, showers and bike racks. The 600mm concrete floor slab contained within this bunker has been retained as much as possible, with excavations limited by setting the drainage into the slab. This solution is not only cost-effective for the client but also offsets the CO2 emissions due to less breaking up of the old concrete material.
A new 2 storey, 23-bed hotel has been constructed over the 1906 building. The new hotel consists of a 2 storey steel frame with proprietary metal web floor joists and a concrete roof. These joists have been used due to the tight structural area as they maximise the floor to ceiling heights for the occupants. The new 2 storeys have been designed over the existing building without the need for the original structure to be further strengthened.